Re: What is the impact?/Dry Sack & World conquest!

Thu, 10 Jul 1997 17:08:31 -0400 (EDT)
Andrew Wayne Austin (aaustin@utkux.utcc.utk.edu)

On Thu, 10 Jul 1997, Stephen Homick wrote:

> I infer from this snippet that Alan Spector is of the opinion
> that "blacks and "Latinos," whatever else they may be, are separate
> races; separate from Asians as well as Caucasians and, by extension,
> separate from each other.

Alan Spector can speak for himself, I'm sure, but Stephen has
misunderstood Alan's point. Alan was speaking about those who make such
distinctions and the conclusions they draw from these reified distinctions
(specifically, he was talking about the parameters of the thinkable that
racial stereotyping sets in people's minds). In the United States, the
general population and official sources do, rightly or wrongly, think of
"blacks" and "Latinos" as separate races, and they do separate
"Caucasians" and "Asians," etc.

Andrew Austin