Re: your mail

Sun, 6 Jul 1997 13:25:04 -0400 (EDT)
Andrew Wayne Austin (aaustin@utkux.utcc.utk.edu)

List,

Ronald, I know exactly what you are getting at. Please do not include the
victims of abuse with their abusers as "sets" of people. There is only one
person on WSN that was on IPE who degenerates list discussions. As you
know, I left IPE because of the constant abuse from this individual, and I
stopped responding to this individuals on WSN because some people
requested that I not encourage him (although, admittedly, others
encouraged me to to go after him). Including the victim of abuse as a set
with the abuser and then blaming the set is, in my view, extremely
offensive. It is called "victim blaming." The individual who degenerates
these list must be especially happy today because his goal of dragging
certain people down, those people whom he cannot face on intellectual
grounds, has been internalized by others.

I apologize for writing a post like this publically, but Ronald wrote this
publically, and I only think it fair that I have a chance to defend
myself. I wish this would stop. I joined this list (and IPE) for academic
discussion only to find myself constantly attacked by a rightwing
anticommunist, and then blamed for the tactics of my attacker. I know the
majority of us are not so shallow as to not understand what is going on
here. And if the purpose is to seem fair by diffusing the blame, let's
stop this too, because it is my reputation that suffers.

Andrew Austin