Re: genes, races, propaganda, science

Sat, 5 Jul 1997 21:47:58 -0400
David Lloyd-Jones (dlj@inforamp.net)

Andrew Wayne Austin <aaustin@utkux.utcc.utk.edu> writes:

> List,
>
> Seems this list has acquired a reactionary element. Those of us who bring
> to the attention of others that the construct of biological race is a
> scientific nonreality, that its invention was born in ignorance and
> exploitative relations, and that continued attempts to reassert its
> ontology perpetuate racism--we are "politically correct."

How curious to be lectured on biology by a man whose philosophy gave us
Lysenko.

A giggle on the side: among Andy's favourite insults (apart from the
scatological and pornographic ones he sends out in his private mail) is
calling people "idealists." Curiouser and curiouser, then, that critics of
the Marxist hero Lysenko were sent to the gulag for the crime of "bourgeois
objectivism." This presumably consists of observing, objectively, that
plants of the wrong, ahem, strain, don't grow with the Party's ordained
fecundity.

The great insolence in Andy's note, however, lies in his use of the
apparently innocent "bring to the attention of others." Andy has brought
nothing to the attention of others. He has no pearls for us. He has a
good deal of common lumber, in amongst his filth and insanity, but it is
sound lumber that the rest of us have used and built with all along --
while he and his "epigones" and "cadres" were busy destroying.

-dlj.