epistemology on the world systems theory listserv

Tue, 01 Jul 1997 15:02:07 -0400
colin s. cavell (cscpo@polsci.umass.edu)

>Richard K. Moore writes on Sun, 29 June 1997 @ 21:58:26:
>
>There ARE racial differences. The most important proviso to these
>differences - a proviso that needs to be understood widely - is that the
>WIDTH of the various by-race bell curves (IQ-ability, running ability,
>musical ability, basketball ability, whatever) is very broad: individual
>differences are greater than racial differences. One race's bell curve
>(for a given metric, and after adjusting for environmental advantage) may
>be off-center from another's, but the two mostly overlap. A given person,
>regardless of race, may be the best or worst person for a given job, to
>have as a neighbor, etc.

Richard, would you please explain what you mean by "race", and I'd also
appreciate if you would specify the typology of the various races
existing in your world. In addition, how does one calculate the
"various by-race bell curves"?

Now I understand why you didn't respond to my message to you regarding
Huntington and the comment I relayed to you heard over WBAI in New York
that Huntington's analysis is akin to Herrnstein and Murray's Bell Curve
Theory simply applied to international relations.

Colin S. Cavell "And there lies the most stupendous
Department of Political Science labor problem of the twentieth century
Thompson Tower, Box 37520 --transcending the problem of Labor
University of Massachusetts and Capital, of Democracy, of the
Amherst, MA 01003-7520 Equality of Women--for it is the
Internet: cscpo@polsci.umass.edu problem of the Equality of Humanity in
Voice: (413) 546-3408 the world as against white domination
http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~cscpo of black and brown and yellow serfs.
--W.E.B. Du Bois, (1868-1963)