[Fwd: Young Researchers Grants]

Tue, 17 Jun 1997 11:40:02 -0400
christopher chase-dunn (chriscd@jhu.edu)

Tue, 17 Jun 1997 11:06:12 -0400 (EDT)
Tue, 17 Jun 1997 11:05:19 -0400 (EDT)
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 10:42:38 -0400
From: isa@sis.ucm.es (International Sociological Association)
Subject: Young Researchers Grants
Apparently-to: chriscd@jhu.edu
To: chriscd@jhu.edu

To: Members of the International Sociological Association

From: Guenther Schmaus e-mail: gunther.schmaus@ci.rech.lu
Courtesy of Bulletin de Methodologie Sociologique, Paris

Subject: TMR Grants - PACO Luxembourg

Our institute offers to young researchers the opportunity for
training in panel analysis and methodology . This training -
while preparing PACO files, working with the data and doing
cross-national research - will enable them to acquire fresh
knowledge or get deeper knowledge and a wider competence in
this rather new field.

This kind of training by research is supported by the European
Commission in its programme ' Training and Mobility of
Researchers' (TMR) through Marie Curie Research Training Grants
of different categories. In this scheme researchers will have
the opportunity to train, specialize or impart their knowledge
in a host centre in another country. In the present case
CEPS/INSTEAD will be the host institute.

We kindly ask you to propose to us your students or researchers
who are interested in panel research and want to be trained (and
funded) through this program. The candidates must be younger
than 35 years. They should have either just finished their
university degree (category 20), or should be PhD students, or
researchers with 4 year's full time research activities
(category 30). Please propose only students, you consider to be
'good' candidates. The arrangement could be as follows: You
will act as their supervisor for their PhD, the main training
and research work being done at our centre while the candidates
work and live here. The researchers will have the possibility to
use our new apartments at the institute.

The applicant must define his/her research project (max 3
pages) and complete the individual application forms. You as the
referee have to write a scientific assessment of the applicant.
We as the host will present the description of the host
institute. The application for a research training grant must
be submitted by the individual candidate. The relevant deadlines
for submissions are:

16. June 1997 or 15. December 1997.

Applicants with excellent proposals - and after selection by
the Commission - will receive a research training grant with
the following components:

(a) basic grant which corresponds to the net income of a
researcher at the equivalent level of the host country

(b) a monthly mobility allowance of 300-400 ECU

(c) a flat rate reimbursement of return travel expenses

In Luxembourg the indicated monthly take home pay rates will be
approx. 1800 ECU for category ' 20' and 2300 ECU for category
'30' researchers ( the mobility allowance will be added to
this).

The grants will be paid for a period of a minimum of six
months and a maximum of two years, while for category '20' a
one-year extension is possible in exceptional cases.

All financial and administrative arrangements between the
Commission and the applicant will be made by the host
institute. You as partner and supervisor for the candidate, will
be free to concentrate on research issues and will not be
bothered by financial and administrative tasks related to the
grants.

More information about TMR Grants can be found at the TMR
homepage:

http://www.cordis.lu/tmr

In our view these TMR grants are an excellent instrument for
training young researchers and for fostering comparative panel
research on households and individuals in Europe. We kindly ask
you to be our partner in this initiative. Please let us have
your response as soon as possible because of the next deadline.
If you have questions or want to have more detailed information
please do not hesitate to contact us.

Guenther Schmaus e-mail: gunther.schmaus@ci.rech.lu

PACO Project CEPS/INSTEAD B.P.48 L-4501 Differdange/Luxembourg
Tel:+352-585855-509/Fax:+352-585560

*** CEPS Homepage: http://www.ceps.lu/index.htm ***