Re: human nature (not as short; but just as final... where Richard is concerned)

Sun, 27 Apr 1997 22:28:40 -0400
David Lloyd-Jones (dlj@inforamp.net)

>On Sun, 27 Apr 1997, Andrew Wayne Austin wrote:
>
>> It seems logical to me
>> that what is natural and what is social should be distinguished...
>> The term "human nature" itself is, as of right now, an oxymoron. Since
>> everything that we know of thus far as "human" is social, human is not
>> natural.

If it were true that everything that is human is social and therefore not
natural (which I don't grant for a moment) then an oxymoron would be
exactly what the phrase "human nature" was.

The word Austin is looking for is "contradiction." Oxymoron is to
contradiction as synthesis to antithesis.

-dlj.