re: China and war

Fri, 18 Apr 1997 17:19:49 -0700 (PDT)
mike shupp (ms44278@huey.csun.edu)

On Fri, 18 Apr 1997, Richard K. Moore wrote:

> If in fact some kind of violent conflict of interests is to be played out
> between the US and China, we would be well advised to be fully open to
> either strategy:
> (1) the US could carry out a hi-tech Iraq-style Yellow Storm
> (2) the US could encourage proxy conflicts: China vs some combination
> of Japan, Russia, Taiwan, India, etc.
>
> We simply can't predict one outcome over the other on the basis of
> historical core power "laws". Under current circumstances either scenario
> could unfold - but allow me to offer several reasons why I believe the
> hi-tech option should be taken as the front-runner:....

Okay, for the heck of it, assume in 2015 or so the USA attacks
China out of the blue and blasts it back to the 14th century.

How much time will pass before other nations start wondering
if the USA might do the same to them? How much time passes
before other nations decide to arm themselves to deter aan
attack by the USA? How much time passes before the consensus
is reached that the best defense against an aggressive USA
is an out of the blue attack of their own?

5 minutes? 5 minutes? ????

ms44278@csun1.csun.edu
Mike Shupp
California State University, Northridge