Re: States as actors.

Fri, 11 Apr 1997 11:37:24 -0400 (EDT)
ba05105@binghamton.edu

Not only are nation states being reorganized for economic reasons
described below--they are being torn apart or superceded from forces above
and below. Ask Margaret Thatcher about the former. for the latter, i
suggest looking at the new constitutions drafted in places like Colombia,
South Africa, and uganda--which sound a lot more like they were put
together by the sort of people called 'multiculturalists' here in the uS
than by people influenced by the models of republics, people's democracies
and other shiboleths of the nation state. nation states depend on people
idenitifying themselves as part of the nation in question--this never
really happened in a number of African 'nation states' and is happening
less in places like the US, where, I would add, the people who don't
closely identify themselves with the fate of the 'American nation', but
instead with smaller groups living within the territory of the US are
well represented among the intelligentsia. As far as I can tell the
opposite is true of Europe--there, regardless of the actual popularity of
the EEC among the 'masses' it has a great deal of credibility among the
intellectual elites throughout Europe.

Steven Sherman
Binghamton University