Re: po-mo is part of the world-system, not a virus

Fri, 14 Mar 1997 09:57:50 -0500 (EST)
ba05105@binghamton.edu

Hmm... IN what sense was Britain hegemonic during the REvolutionary and
Napoleanic wars?! Hegemony involves rule, not being menaced and
disrupted! I find romanticism being associated with universalism quite
unconvincing--romanticism--from Burke to 1848, was always closely
associated with nationalism--the radical Marx was understandably fed up
with the particularism of his age--thats why he prayed/predicted that for
the working class ie. the future, nations, religion, the family would be
exposed as bourgeois illusions and the workers could/would apprehend the
universal truth. All the major thinkers of Sociology--Marx, Durkheim,
Weber,Dilthey interpreted modernity as a universal phenomenon--they were
progressives opposed to those clinging to a romanticised past. The
particularists were in anthropology, literary studies, and
orientalism--all stronger in England (the hegemonic power) than sociology
(strong in Germany, a competitor). Impression recapitulated the Dutch
direct apprehension of the bourgeois world--not unlike Marx, rejecting the
nationalist, academist, religious wrapping most art was coming encased in
at the time.

STeven Sherman
Binghamton University