Re: po-mo is part of the world-system, not a virus

Wed, 12 Mar 1997 11:04:47 -0500 (EST)
ba05105@binghamton.edu

WW Sorry about my previous intemperate post. One question to Al
Bergesen--if hegemony is associated with universalistic frames, rivalry
with particularism, how do you understand the second half of the
eighteenth century--wasn't it precisely the case that the rival, France,
was
universalistic as could plausibly be, while, beginning with Burke,
England became talking a blue streak about the virtues of local,
untheorizable differences, and didn't really stop at least through the
mid-17970s, with Thompson scolding Althusser for being too abstract.
I'm not sure that whatever emerges out of East Asia won't build its
hegemony on a skeptisicm about the universalism that in some ways proved
to be the US's achilles heel.

STeven Sherman
Binghamton University