Re: Addendum to Mark Selden's post

Wed, 5 Mar 1997 20:43:08 -0500 (EST)
william r. thompson (wthompso@indiana.edu)

Gunder: I think I would rather hoist another set of glasses than put them
on. I did not say that maritime trade replaced overland trade. Nor am I
overly impressed with an anecdote from a British perspective in 1688
India that anteceded the later rise to prominence of the British in India
in the following century. That is the trouble with anecdotal evidence.
I also have no quarrel with the view that Europeans had to play the Asian
trade game largely by Asian rules and that it was larger than the
east-west flow. But the hijack of the western end of the east-west flow
(which is how I might better have expressed it), and again the initial
Portuguese effort was only temporarily successful, demarcated an initial
watershed in the gradual ascendancy of the Europeans. Moreover, I do not
contend that the Europeans or any Europeans became "preponderant" over
the world economy in 1500. We continue to disagree but I'm not sure that
we are disagreeing about the same things. Bill