Re: Frank and Barendse vs. Boswell

Sun, 2 Mar 1997 14:03:57 -0500 (EST)
A. Gunder Frank (agfrank@chass.utoronto.ca)

You ASKED for it:
1. Terry observes SOME growth in Europe and equates that with
EUROPEAN EXPANSION and is now thankfuly more reluctant to use the
"C" =apitalism word, as he graciuously put it.
2. Terry observes MORE growth in and of Europe than there was [eg
Barensde and Frank independetly of each other both rebut his totally
unwarranted claims about Indonesia and Africa], and
3. Terry does not observe anything in Asia because he refuses to look, so
Barendse and Frank supply a couple of items about that.
4. They show that European "expansion" is neither here nor there,
Terry does well to excercise care in the use of the "C'word - Frank would
abandon it altogether and apparently Barendse is also so inclined on the
basis of the EVIDENCE, so that therefore
5. The argument is about the entire body of historiography and social
theory from Marx Weber to Wallerstein - including what the "world system"
and the "theory" about it is and is NOT.
6. Al Bergesen made this = what this argument is about - abundantly clear
on this net some weeks ago.
Maybe Salvatore was out to lunch.

Bon Aptetit

Gunder Frank