Re: Money is the root.

Fri, 28 Feb 1997 10:58:34 -0500 (EST)
A. Gunder Frank (agfrank@chass.utoronto.ca)

Alas Terry takes my name in vain [though i dunno why since i did not
speak to this issue before] and misrepresents my position and/or
mis-undersands what - IMHO! - really went on.

Chapter 3 of my forhtcoming book is entitled
MONEY WENT AROUND THE WORLD AND MADE THE WORLD GO ROUND.
It documents the flow of silver, about half of which ended up in China!
Like Terry, it denies [the common thesis of ] inflation in Asia. But it
explains that in sort of MV=PT terms as an increase of M and of V
leading to a large increase of T [and None of P], and it also supplies
direct evidence on the same. In fact, the new money increased production
and population growth MORE and FASTER in Asia, espeecialy China but
also India, than in Europe. Terry continues to look under the European
streetlight and to miss the much more crucial evidence of what was really
going on in the REAL world, in which Europe continued to be a minro
marrginal player [excepr that it did distribute this silver around the
world, whgich as Jim Blaut says and Adam Smith already recognized, was
just about the ONLY thing it did and COULD do.
Terry you will NREVER see what went on untuil you take of your European
glasses.

cheers
gunderOn Thu, 27 Feb 1997, Terry