Re: World Order of Baha'u'llah

Mon, 17 Feb 1997 17:13:57 -0500 (EST)
wwagar@binghamton.edu

Dear Rick,

About a century ago (so it feels), I discussed the Baha'i theology
of world order in my book "The City of Man: Prophecies of a World
Civilization in Twentieth-Century Thought" (Boston: Houghton Mifflin,
1963; revised, Penguin Books, 1967), Ch. 2, pp. 117-120. I do not stand
by everything I wrote in that book, but it does put the Baha'i Faith in
historical and ideological perspective from a viewpoint not entirely
dissimilar to world-systems theory (which at that time did not quite
exist). Baha'u'llah and his successors believed they had created a new
world faith, via divine revelation, that would serve as the spiritual
foundation of a new global civilization, a world-system beyond the
politically and culturally fractured system of our time.

Regards,

W. Warren Wagar
Department of History
Binghamton University, SUNY