World-Pictures

Mon, 16 Dec 1996 16:00:47 -0500 (EST)
wwagar@binghamton.edu

Dear barendse et al.:

There is no need to be puzzled. I did not say that one world
picture is as "good" as another. Of course some theories seem applicable
to more facts than others, i.e., seem to US in OUR time and in OUR place.
We have the responsibility as scholars to devise theories and concepts of
the maximum utility and fidelity to the "known" "facts." But I am saying
that all theories and concepts and even facts (as verbalized or quantified
by us) are relative to our perspectives in space and time, and since no
one person has exactly the same perspective as any other, and no one
person is immune to change over time him/herself, it is impossible to
reach the ding-an-sich as it would appear to an omniscient being. As one
ant said to the other while standing on her ant hill and surveying the
starry heavens above, "Gee, doesn't it make you feel insignificant!"

Your insignificant servant,

Warren Wagar