Re: to use or not to use "capitalism" in a theory of the world

Tue, 29 Oct 1996 09:52:25 -0500 (EST)
ba05105@binghamton.edu

Am I missing something? Is this the world systems network? What ever the
virtues of Gunder Frank's critique of IW (and there are some) it seems
like this board could benefit from the limited anti-eurocentricism of
Modern World System volume one. To wit, in what sense has 'european
society' freed the majority of its inhabitants from subsistence? In this
sense only--that around 1500 a new 'society' was produced which involved
an expanded production of subsistence in Latin America, Eastern Europe,
etc. That some city dwellers of Europe were able to escape subsistence
(just how many, and when, are good questions) is not particularly unique
in world history--virtually every empire had a class above the subsistence
level. That European subsistence was increasingly produced well out of
view and even across oceans may have been relatively unprecedented--but I
don't really understand
the significance of that.
Steven Sherman
Binghamton