Re: Two cents more..

Sun, 27 Oct 1996 16:46:49 -0500 (EST)
william r. thompson (wthompso@indiana.edu)

Prof. Dassbach: While there is a fun element to the movement (not
retreat) back in time, there are also sound theoretical and
methodological reasons. The problem is that some of us are going back in
time because we are trying to make sense of present structures and
processes. How far back in time one feels the need to go depends on the
substantive question and when the data give out. Take for instance your
interest in long waves. Most long wavers think that they are fairly
recent phenomena originating in the late 18th century at best. Modelski
and Thompson argue that long waves can be extended continuously back to
around the 10th century but not before. One outcome is that we have
18-19 k waves to work with whereas most others have only several.
Moreover, we can perhaps better address under what conditions long waves
appeared and when they might disappear. Finally, we think a 1000 year
series of long wave fluctuations permits us to better address the
evolutionary aspects of this process. But we did not assume that we had
to go back to some Ur-phase. Instead, we kept pushing back in time until
the chain stopped. For kwaves and us, it was Sung China. For our
related interest in long-term diffusion processes, we had to begin with
Sumer. There are of course people who argue that everything since the
end of the Cold War, 1945, the Industrial Revolution (take your pick) is
completely different from what preceded it. The people studying the
really long-term are simply less impressed with these alleged breakpoints
- even though there may well be important breakpoints along the way. In
an earlier message, I thought 1500 was one but you have to start before
1500 to know why. WRT