Re: WSN digest 175

Sun, 27 Oct 1996 09:56:47 -0800
Christian Harlow (harlowc@cats.ucsc.edu)

Charles J. Reid wrote:

> Hi, Folks!
>
> Quick question: Where're the best 3 or 4 places to study World Systems
> Theory? Thanks.
>
> -- Charlie Reid
> cjreid@netcom.com
> "Salus populi suprema est lex" (Cicero)
> The welfare of the people is the highest law.
This is not comprehensive, nor is it in any order.

SUNY Binghampton
John Hopkins
UC Santa Cruz
Arizona

I hope this helps, of course I am biased but there are some really good
people at these places, some would say "the heavies of the field" teach
at these schools Binghampton(with its Fernand Braudel Center) would
appear to be the best because Wallerstein, Arrighi, and Hopkins teach
there, however Wallerstein is in Paris for half the year and Terrence
Hopkins is now emeritus. Chase-Dunn and some others teach at John
Hopkins. Wally Goldfrank is at UCSC. Al Bergesen is at Arizona. I
looked into this last year before I applied for grad schools so actually
there are other schools that I could recommend depending on you
situation. (e.g. are you interested in only an M.A. or a particular sub
field of WST)...My advice is to find the people whose work interests you
and take a good look at those programs.

Christian Harlow