Re: SAVING DEMOCRACY / world government

Mon, 19 Aug 1996 11:21:51 -0400 (EDT)
wwagar@binghamton.edu

On Thu, 15 Aug 1996, Richard K. Moore wrote:

> 8/14/96, Warren Wagar wrote:
>
> > No, I don't think it's impossible to reform national governments.
> >But without concerted global political action, it will be impossible to
> >replace the capitalist world-system with a democratic world-government.
>
> Perhaps it would be productive to pursue both a "world focus" and
> "national focus" track -- do at each level what is most appropriate there,
> and to encourage communication between the two efforts.
>

> Regards,
> rkm

Okay, I have no problem with that. No one can know what will work
best until the attempt(s) is (are) made. But I would certainly hope that
ANY nationally focused party or movement would adopt as a cardinal tenet
the assumption that ultimately democracy cannot be saved unless all the
world's people enjoy its benefits and no one segment of humankind has the
right to prey on another. The world cannot survive half-free and
half-slave.

Best,
Warren