Re: SAVING DEMOCRACY / Reform vs. Revolution

Sat, 17 Aug 1996 16:33:47 +0100 (BST)
Richard K. Moore (rkmoore@iol.ie)

8/16/96, Nikolai S. Rozov wrote:
>Dear Richard,
>frankly I am confused by ambiguousness of your last answer.
>when you mean Global Reform - I agree with you, but when you mean
>Global Revolution - I strongly disagree.
> I think you should first cease to confuse yourself and make a decision -
>what namely you appeal for: for the Reform or for the Revolution?

Dear Nikolai,

I believe I was very explicit about what I'm proposing (in SAVING
DEMOCRACY), and it fits neither of the definitions you proclaim as a
"binary choice" between Reform and Revolution. Methinks I detect a false
dichotomy.

What I propose (which may be an impossible dream) is for citizens
to become more collectively aware and assertive, form new political
parties, and lawfully replace their leaders by election in the First-World
"democracies". And I propose this happen with a public conciousness of the
issues I outlined -- in particular the importance of national sovereignty
and the necessity of curbing corporate power both domestically and
internationally.

In terms of your "peaceful vs. violent" choice, my proposals would
seem to come under the "Reform" category -- all actions come within the
rules of "the system", and the political system (Consititution et al) is
not to be disbanded. I see no reason to assume there would be "mass social
violence, class fights and civil wars".

But as it affects the "global core elite", such a progressive
resurgance would (hopefully) have revolutionary (but not Revolutionary)
implications. It could restructure the relationship between First and
Third World, shift the focus of global investments, and reverse the trend
toward global corporate feudalism.

This would not put corporations out of business -- it would not
threaten their survival. They'd all have new rules to play under, and
could continue to maximize their profits accordingly -- and investors would
adjust their expectations more or less uniformly. So I don't see
Revolutionary violence as being necessarily forced on either side.

Regards,
Richard

Article found at:

//ftp.iol.ie/users/rkmoore/cyberlib/Articles-by-RKM/On-Saving-Democracy:

"ON SAVING DEMOCRACY"

A bold (:>) attempt to outline a progressive agenda and propose a
course of effective political action in the face of multinational
globalism. Section headings are:
o Obstacles to Progressive Political Action
o Toward a Progressive Reform Agenda
o Toward Effective Political Action
o Global Solidarity and National Focus