Re: world-system meeting

Mon, 5 Aug 1996 17:46:42 -0400 (EDT)
A. Gunder Frank (agfrank@chass.utoronto.ca)

Gunder Frank responds: My answer to Terry is obvious: To
continue/extend/deepen the "discussion" between Terry and me that began
at ISA San Diego, which focuses on the implications for REstudying the
"modern world-system" since 1500 from the longer perspective of the
WORLD economny/system [without a hyphen!] already long before that. In a
word, I suggest that shifts the focus AWAY from Europe, to various parts
of Asia, where it belongs! Only incidentally, it also calls into question
the "exceptionality" and "development" of "capitalism" in Europe AND the
whole historical basis of the social "theory" [i would say Eurocentric
IDEOLOGY] of Marx, Weber, Polanyi, Braudel, Wallerstein -- not to mention
Boswell!!
cheers
gunder frank
who also asks if ther is any support for this "discussion" out there!