Re: Wagar's World

Tue, 30 Jul 1996 00:00:37 -0600 (CST)
Kerry (macdonak@Meena.CC.URegina.CA)

On Sat, 27 Jul 1996, Andrew W. Austin wrote:

> In the statement to which you respond below, I have not called for the
> eradication of the state (although I believe a democratic social order

If you check the bottom of this post you will see that you did use the
term "stateless", so you can see wherein my presumption arose (p.s.
thanks for appending my reply, as I had forgotten the exact argument. I
have a terrible habit of a "leave and forget" when it comes to my posts.)

> could exit without one). My disagreement was with Terry's categorical
> imperative which asserted a false dilemma. You, Terry, and Wagar may
> desire a democratic state institution through which the masses of the
> world coordinate their activities, but this desire does not make such an
> outcome the only possible alternative to authoritarian state structures.

I concur, their are alternatives, my only assertion was that there needed
to be some sort of state-like institution of which I provided a version I
thought was desirable. My argument was what I saw as the denial of the
need for an institution, which IMO is something that is necessary for any
society. I agree with you later assertion that what humanity hath made
humanity can destroy and create anew. :)

> As for class structure, not all systems of stratification are class
> systems. Class systems are systems of stratification that are specific to
> the capitalist productive mode, with one's class position being determined
> by one's relationship to the productive means. A classless society is not
> one in which stratification has been eliminated, rather it is one in which
> the producer in society is not subordinated to an ownership class. Such a
> system as capitalism is not a naturally occurring entity. It is a human
> construction. As such, it can be changed by humans.

Again if you read my reply, you will see that is exactly what I said.
You used the term class and state together in a compartive manner. I was
simply pointing out how the two were different in their theoritical
construction. I simply wanted to point out that whereas I thought
"class" could be eliminated, at least objectively (the Soviet Union being
an example), the state or similiar institution was necessary.

Also if you reread my reply you will see that I never said made any
assertion that class was the only means of stratification; on the
contrary my remarks were that it's objective conditions could be
eliminated I never commented upon the subject, nor did I make any
reference to stratification per se. Again I was responding to your
assertions, which did not say anything about stratification.

> The point of my remarks is that humans can construct a classless and
> stateless society. These social forms are not eternal, operating by some
> mystical "laws of nature." No human society must live under the social
> forms it has created for itself. The institutionalization of democracy
> into a monolithic entity through which all peoples must coordinate their
> activities is not inevitable or even desirable.

Granted society is a social construction, however, whereas we may be
able to eliminate class as an objective condition or even other forms of
stratification, we will always need some sort of state-like institution.
To argue otherwise is to adopt an existentialist postion, IMO, it negates
that we are social beings, born and raised in a social environment. We
are created ourselves by the simply fact of being raised.

> There are also differing conceptions of, and varying levels in
> "democracy," which are not being discussed here. Wagar's understanding of
> democracy is objectionable generally, and his is a conception to which I
> would object if my posts were addressing this specifically (I have thus
> far only attacked the notion of a centralized world state-government). I
> personally believe mixed forms of direct/participatory and representative/
> administrative democracy are superior political economic organizations
> (one paradigm being the Yugoslav model in the early-1950s, another being
> the Spanish model 1936-1939). But a world organized along these lines
> would not necessitate a world state.

I would agree, however, there needs to be discussion on how those
institutions would work on a global scale. The Spanish model would
probably be something of a confederation, whether or not this institution
is or could be called a "world state" is debatable (and IMO taxonomic or
semantic debates are of secondary importance.) The question in my mind
is how, given the situation that we find ourselves is how does one get
from here to there? How can humanity move away from capitalism,
regardless of where we end up? That seems to me to be the central
question that the left has wrestled with for the past 100 to 200 years
(or longer, depending on who on includes in the term "left".)

Anyways, I don't actually seeing us as on opposite sides of the fence on
this matter. I simply responded to a part of you arguement that
interested me.

kerry