Re: Fwd:Wallerstein Re: Where the World Capitalism is going

Fri, 19 Jul 1996 09:40:28 -0600 (NSK)
Nikolai S. Rozov (ROZOV@cnit.nsu.ru)

Dear Al,
it may be strange for you but our methodological positions are in this aspect
are very close and by no means opposite!
I don't like post-modern tradition in science because these falks
make the water of thought not more clear but more muddy.
I just as you do try to reveal the underlying logic of historical dynamics.
Moreover I still think that Hempel-Popper explanation-prediction scheme (so
unfashionable in recent decades) can serve us in combination with rich
conceptual apparatus of WST, civilization approach, geopolitical approach,
social-changes theory.
My 'fox' considerations to which you reacted are limited by the initial
position of widest openness to future results of research. Sure, after
revealing interior logic, dynamics, maybe laws this range of possibilities
becomes much more narrow and a fox should be transformed into a hedgehog.
But according to specifics of social-historical reality with changing logic,
changing weight of factors, changing limits of growth, self-reflection,
significance of choices and conjuncture, I really
don't believe in possibility of one precise long-term prognosis.

I never told of 'no predictions', 'no models'! On the contrary I appeal
to construct and use multiple models, make multiple predictions based on
these models and hypothetical laws and then see which presuppositions and
hypotheses were right or wrong.

Well, stop pure methodology and lets turn to WS issues. I am very glad
that you accept the idea of megatrends at least as a phenomenal description.
I agree that core-periphery relations are not sufficiently elaborated here,
it is really a special large task to combine the megatrend model
(polispheral complex of positive feed-back loops of trends) with WS model.

You wrote:
> I would suggest that
> MT1-3 are themselves consequences of world systemic dynamics, not the
> dynamics themselves. These are descriptive outcomes, not underlying
> processes.

I have not now clear arguments to persuade you. But I would be grateful for
explicite presenting by you or anybody else of the mentioned 'underlying
processes' of 'world system dynamics' and demonstrating how really they cause
MT1-3 as their phenomenal consequences.

Thanks for promising discussion,
yours Nikolai