Re: Rozov, Derluguian, and Where the World Capitalism is going?

Sat, 29 Jun 1996 14:47:33 +1000
Bruce R. McFarling (ecbm@cc.newcastle.edu.au)

Date: Sun, 30 Jun 1996 16:21:53 -0700
To: WORLD SYSTEMS NETWORK <wsn@csf.colorado.edu>
From: esommer@direct.ca (eric steven sommer)
Subject: ADDENDA to: wallerstein, Chris

Hi Chris,

I was struck by your argument below, particularly your point that social
actors mental models generally underestimate the quantity of indirect
interaction between their own system(s) and the system(s) of others. I
personally find it difficult to imagine all the interactions which lead to a
sandwhich being put in front of me in a restaurant, let alone the detailed
commodity and other interactions in the current world system.

Incidentally, can you unpack slightly the meaning of your statement below
regarding "Information Networks...Bulk Goods Nets, Political-Military Nets,
and Prestige Goods Nets"? By `networks', do you mean simply networks of
interactions related to particular social dimensions - economic, military,
and so forth; or by `networks', do you mean the infrastructures which allow
for these interactions (highway networks to transport troops or goods,
mail-services or telecommunications grids to carry inforamtion; etc.)

Thanks for your help with this,

Eric.