re:re: founding fathers

Thu, 6 Jun 1996 18:30:36 +0300
Korotaev A. (andrei@rsuh.ru)

To: craig k harris
> dept of sociology michigan state university east lansing
> michigan 48824-1111 tel: 517-355-5048 fax: 517-432-2856
>

> on 6 jun 96 korotaev wrote:
> 4. The "capital-accumulation" assumption of the WST looks for me as a much
> more sound, much less shaky one. However, one doubts why the capital
> accumulation should nessesarily imply exploitation. If we use with
> Ekholm&Friedman "the word 'capital' to refer to the form of absract wealth
> represented in the concrete form of metal or even money that can be
> accumilated in itself and converted into other forms of wealth" (1993 /1982/:
> 68), why capital accumilation could not be conducted through the systematic
> equal exchange of "other forms of wealth" and services in return for the
> "abstract wealth"?
>
> there is a part of the logic that i'm not understanding here . . . if
> accumulation means having more of something at the end of the period than at
> the beginning, and if 'abstract wealth' is being used in 'equal exchange' for
> 'other forms of wealth and services', how can capital accumulate in one of the
> exchanging parts of the system
> thanks in advance for the clarification and explanation

Never mind!

Take for example my South Arabian example. I would insist that the
capital accumilating entity of this type could function even if there
were no exploitation of the Mediterranean "core" on the part of the
South Arabian "periphery". Actually, what we have here: South
Arabians systematically export to the Mediterrania say 50 000 000
sist. worth quantity of insence and import only 20 000 000 sist.
worth of the Mediterranean commodities, taking 30 000 000 sist. back
as the bullion (Classical authors suggest the arrangement was
something like that). Even if this exchange is equal, there is
capital accumulation in Ekholm&Friedman's sense. South Arabians
simply export "other forms of wealth", consumption commodities and
import "abstract wealth ... that can be accumulated in itself and
converted into other forms of wealth". Hence, the capital
accumulation occurs here mainly because the import and export flows
have different structures, export consisting of mainly "concrete
wealth" and import consisting mainly of "abstract wealth".

Putting it more generally, the element of system which gives the
other elements "concrete wealth" (CW) and taking from them "abstract
wealth" (AW) in return, can accumilate the capital even if the value of
CW = AW, hence, equal exchange, hence, no exploitation.

Yours,
Andrey

P.S. Just to remind how it looks "on the ground" I would quote from one of
my previous postings:

Agatharchides on the South Arabians
("Sabaeans"; 3rd cent.BC; transl. by
St.M.Burstein):

"They transport cargoes of various sorts
including specially an aromatic plant
which grows in the interior..." (apud
Photius, Cod. 250.101, 459a).

"No nation seems to be more prosperous
than the Sabaeans and Gerrhaeans since
they the ones who distribute everything
from Asia and Europe that is considered
valuable... In general, there is a great
difference between their wealth and that
of others." (apud Photius, Cod. 250.102,
459a-459b).

"This tribe surpasses in wealth ... not
only the nearby Arabs but also the rest of
the mankind. For in the exchange and sale
of their wares, they, of all people who
engage in trade for the sake of the
exchange of silver, receive the highest
price for goods of the smallest bulk"
(Diodorus 3.47.5-8). See also e.g. Strabo
26.4.19, C778 &c.

"...They are the richest races in the
world, because vast wealth from Rome and
Parthia accumulates in their hands, as
they sell the produce they obtain from the
sea or their forests and buy nothing in
return" (Pliny VI.xxxii.162; transl. by
H.Rackham).

Cp. Periplus' description of trade in the
South Arabian port Muza:
"Merchandise for which it offers a market
are: purple cloth, ... Arab sleeved
clothing, ... blankets, in limited number,
....unguent, moderate amount; MONEY,
CONSIDERABLE AMOUNT; wine and grain,
limited quantity because the region
produces wheat in moderate quantity and
wine in greater" (Periplus Maris Erythraei,
24; 1st cent.CE; transl. by L.Casson;
emphasis added - A.K.).