Re: WSN Focus (fwd)

Thu, 23 May 1996 02:09:50 -0400
Peter Grimes (p34d3611@jhu.edu)

Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 17:28:41 -0400 (EDT)
From: "A. Gunder Frank" <agfrank@chass.utoronto.ca>
To: Harutiun Kassakhian <hk1@axe.humboldt.edu>
Subject: Re: WSN Focus

shortest of short response by Gunder Frank.
FRank and Fuentes have written 2 things on CYCLES in social movements,
which from their protagonists point of view are anti-systemic.
In the first one, we also distingish between moves that are against
the system and thos that really attack /harm the system itself, which are
few if any. This was in our chapter in Amin,Arrighi, Frank,Wallerstein
TRANSFORMING THE REVOLUTION. SOC MOVS IN THE WORLD SYST, Montly Rev press
1990, i think.
That chapter had a part on CYCLEs in soc movs, which we extended in a later
arciel devoted only to studying cycles in Soc movs. In both, the findings
were that [anti systemic] soc movs increased in two Kondratoiff B pahses,
the 1816-48 one and the 1967-- one, except that we also found taht they
petered out in the 90s or late 80s. The otehr big wave was in the
1890s-1914, which is usually regarded as an A phase. We speculate a lot
about that. This second version is publioshed in
RESEARCH IN SOC MOVS , CONFLICTS AND CHANGE
editeb by L Kriesber, M Dobkowski & I Wallimann
JAI ptress vol 17, 1994 pp 173-196.
In a word, its not true that anti-syt movs do not increawe in B phase.
gunder frank