Re: prosperity, indices

Tue, 7 May 1996 18:21:19 +0100 (BST)
Richard K. Moore (rkmoore@iol.ie)

5/05/96, Jozsef Borocz wrote:
>Don't the United Nations Development Program's _Human Development
>Reports_ do just what you are looking for? ... I seem
>to remember very interesting tables in the first, (I think 1993) edition,
>comparing country rankings based on literacy, life expectancy, ...

Jozsef - Can an online version of this report be dredged up? It
would be interesting to look at it in conjunction with other '93 data and
ask some questions about the true effects of corporatism/"development".

>for the second edition, the HDI was revised such that it would
>not reflect negatively on some important nations.

No surprise: "There's Lies, there's Damn Lies, and then there's
Statistics". When most "studies" -- and most university research -- are
funded by corporations, then we end up with a "made to order" version of
truth reigning supreme in consensus-reality public consciousness, and in
the governmental process. Is unfettered academic inquiry destined to
extinction?

rkm