Fw: the book for discussion

Thu, 18 Jan 1996 13:56:49 -0600 (CST)
chris chase-dunn (chriscd@jhu.edu)

------------------------------
From: Nikolai Sergeevich Rozov <ROZOV@nw.cnit.nsk.su>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 19:10:40 -0500
To: chriscd@jhu.edu
Subject: the book for discussion

Hello Chris,
I am organizing discussion in PHILOFHI on 'Civilizations and
World- Systems' (ed by S.Sanderson) 1995.
Maybe you or somebody from wsn or other lists would
like to to join. Feel free to repost this msg if find it
useful. Thanks, yours Nikolai

I would like to suggest the book 'Civilizations and World--
systems'1995 for discussion in PHILOFHI (see below the table
of contents and order info of the book and subs info)
according to the following reasons:
it is the last joint summary and attempt for synthesis of
two most interesting and productive (from my viewpoint,
surely) approaches to theoretical world history: civilization
approach and world-system approach,
the book contains a sufficient pool of modern language,
concepts, paradigms, views which can serve for formation of
some common language, intellectual space for mutual
understanding in our list,
the book does not deal directly with phil.of hist. - yes,
but I still insist that without concepts (schemes, models,
paradigms) of real historical structures and processes, all
philosophical discussions may occur scholastic and fruitless.
Thus we need theoretical history not INSTEAD OF but as a BASIS
and a CHALLENGE FOR philosophy of history.

If it is realistic and accepted I suggest to try to get
this book, to read it and to begin discussion in mid-
February.( Surely all other subjects are welcome all the
time.)
Nikolai Rozov

>from: s_sanderson <SKSANDER@grove.iup.edu>

BOOK ANNOUNCEMENT

CIVILIZATIONS AND WORLD SYSTEMS: STUDYING WORLD HISTORICAL CHANGE,
edited by Stephen K. Sanderson, has just been published.

Copies may be ordered from Altamira Press, 1630 N. Main St., Suite 367,
Walnut Creek, CA 94596. Phone 510 938-7243, Fax 510 933-9720, E-mail
altamira@ccnet.com. Cloth $46.00 (ISBN: 0-7619-9104-2), paper $24.95 (ISBN:
0-7619-9105-0). Examination copies may be ordered on approval (i.e., an invoice
will accompany the book but will be cancelled if the book is adopted for course
use).

CONTENTS

PART I: CIVILIZATIONAL APPROACHES TO WORLD-HISTORICAL CHANGE
S. Sanderson, Introduction
1. M. Melko, The Nature of Civilizations
2. D. Wilkinson, Central Civilization
3. W. Eckhardt, A Dialectical Evolutionary Theory of Civilizations, Empires,
and Wars

PART II: WORLD SYSTEM APPROACHES TO WORLD-HISTORICAL CHANGE
S. Sanderson and T. Hall, Introduction
4. C. Chase-Dunn and T. Hall, Cross-World-System Comparisons
5. B. Gills, Capital and Power in the Processes of World History
6. A.G. Frank, The Modern World-System Revisited: Rereading Braudel and
Wallerstein
7. A. Bergesen, Let's Be Frank About World History
8. A. Bosworth, World Cities and World Economic Cycles

PART III: CIVILIZATIONISTS AND WORLD SYSTEM THEORISTS: DIALOGUE AND INTERPLAY
S. Sanderson and T. Hall, Introduction
9. I. Wallerstein, Hold the Tiller Firm: On Method and the Unit of Analysis
10. D. Wilkinson, Civilizations _are_ World Systems!
11. S. Sanderson, Expanding World Commercialization: The Link Between
World-Systems and Civilizations
12. V. Roudometof and R. Robertson, Globalization, World-System Theory, and
the Comparative Study of Civilizations

PART IV: EPILOGUE
S. Sanderson, Introduction
13. W. McNeill, _The Rise of the West_ After Twenty-Five Years

The application for new
subscribers to PHILOFHI is attainable now by WWW. Please point
your Web browser to:
http://darwin.clas.virginia.edu/~dew7e/anthronet/subscribe/phi

If you have not access to WWW, just get in touch with me.
Nikolai S. Rozov
Professor of Philosophy
PhD., Dr.Sc.

Moderator of the mailing list PHILOFHI
(PHILosophy OF HIstory and theoretical history)

Dept. of Philosophy Tel.: (3832) 397488
Novosibirsk State University Fax.: (3832) 355237
630090, Novosibirsk E-mail: rozov@nw.cnit.nsk.su
Pirogova 2 rozov@adm.nsu.nsk.su