Re: Similarities: Contemporary US and WWII Germany
by Thomas Juli
28 October 2003 12:25 UTC

No, you are not lying.  But you have a somewhat incomplete understanding of history.

There were a lot of reasons that led to the rise of Hitler and the Nazi regime.  The economic depression was certainly one reason.  The high reparations Germany had to pay after WW I another and there are many more reasons.  I do not want to start a discussion on this topic.  Enough has been written about it.

Now to your question, “…  did Germany's initial rapid economic expansion and ascension to world power leave to deep and lasting and too positive an impression on our own financial, industrial and political leadership?    In short, are they all *nazi* scum?   “  ---  What exactly is your question?  Are you looking for reasons of the German “Wirtschaftswunder” after WW II?  One reason was that economic regimes and institutions were still in place.  I define institutions as the rules that define social interactions in society; this includes culture.

– Are similar economic and political institutions in place in Iraq?  No.  Iraq does not have a history of democracy or what it takes to survive and compete in today’s global market place by itself.  Hence, it requires the help of international organizations such as the UN, IMF, WB, etc.  The dilemma is that as long as the US military and the Bush cabinet does not yield more influence to the UN, most funds will not flow.  The Bush administration started a war which violated international law.  It cannot expect the UN to justify this war now.  It is naļve and I dare say arrogant and cowboy-like to think that only American companies should win contracts for rebuilding Iraq.  By the way, I wonder if the Bush administration actually wants to rebuild Iraq or if it just wants to keep control of the large oil reserves.

Are there similarities between the present situation and post WW II Germany?  Maybe.  With regards to your allusion to the Nazi regime, no.

Thomas Juli, Ph.D.
Germany