Re: NYTimes.com Article: Iraqi Family Ties Complicate American Efforts for Change
by William Fisher
29 September 2003 09:36 UTC

In many cultures, marriages between cross cousins are extremely common, i.e. with mother's brother's children or father's sister's children. Parallel cousin marriages are rare since father's brother's children and mother's sister's children are most commonly classified as one's siblings in most of the known systems of kinship terminology.
Marriage with the parallel patrilateral cousin is therefore uncommon in a structural sense. Where there are descent groups it may make sense as a pattern of marriage that keeps family loyalties and patrimony almost synonymous with a patri-lineage, that is, as a strategy for manipulating kin ties and maintaining control over land and some common patrimony. This is not a question of statistics for anthropologists since an expressed preference or even a prescription of a certain kind of marriage does not guarantee that this always happens in practice. However, whether or not such marriages are in a statistical majority, such preferences are important indicators of the systematic organization of cultural categories and cultural associations between kinship and the larger world, including all those things necessary for the organization of production, such as land, herds and how and by whom resources may be accessed.
Those on the list with a copy of Bourdieu's "The Logic of Practice" can check out his chapter entitled "the social uses of kinship" for more information on what he calls the "strategies of social reproduction" common among Arab and Berber peoples.