Re: Why Killing Arafat is Good for Zionism
by Threehegemons
18 September 2003 00:38 UTC

In a message dated 9/17/2003 4:53:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ibnsubhi@yahoo.com writes:
> Uri Avnery makes an interesting argument below:
> Killing Arafat is good for the Zionist project.

This seems like an extremely tendentious interpretation of Avnery's argument.
Avnery argues that Sharon does not care about the horrific consequences, and
hopes the killing of Arafat will spur Jewish control of all of historic
Palestine (see the quote I've copied below).  But to the extent that Zionism
(i.e. some sort of Jewish state in some boundaries in the area) remains the
aspiration of most of the global Jewish community, it seems dangerous and
politicallly poorly advised to equate Zionism with Sharon, as this makes it
virtually impossible to critique him within Jewish communities.  In any case, I
don't think that's what Avnery was saying.

Steve