Re: What really is Andre Gunder Frank's position on worlds?
by Threehegemons
13 August 2003 17:45 UTC

In a message dated 8/13/2003 1:10:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time, boles@svsu.edu
writes:

> > And, incidentally, I guess that "approach" is really no different that
>Wallerstein's, since you both essentially use divisions of labor as criteria,
>or whatever empirical evidence is available to suggest systemacity.  The
>theory and outcome or interpretation of the data is different, not the
>approach (or is the same until Wallerstein began his shift to focus on meaning
>systems as the underlying binding glue of systems
> in the 1990s or so).

I'm pretty sure Wallerstein continues to argue that what defines his unit of
analysis is the containment of the division of labor.  These days, he usually
says(as he always has) the modern world system dates back to 1500 but that it's
elite did not possess a unified culture until circa 1800.

Steven Sherman