Re: culture ... (aka there are/no cultures)
by Trichur Ganesh
11 August 2003 10:34 UTC

For those who read "the culture studies people", I suppose culture becomes suddenly of importance on the agenda.  So what?  That does not detract from the fact that it is anthropologists who have done the most painstakingly creative work on culture and on cultures.  The point I raised referred as well to the fact that at certain times, rather than at other times, cultural studies start blooming as it were.  It is this that I argue ought to be an object of investigation.  I think that culture is an over-inflated concept - its inflated status is re-affirmed in the statement that 'culture is everything, it is everywhere'.  To say that produces, for me at least,  no informational value. Just as the concept of 'Western civilization' or 'Western culture' in its monolithicity is an empty term, hiding more than it reveals, hiding for instance all those borrowings and refusals that Braudel points out (actually quite contra-Huntington).  Braudel - inspired by Mauss (the anthropologist) and Lucien Febvre - in fact argues that there are civilizations within civilizations (Frances within Frances) that need to be the object of study in order to give content to the concept of cultures.  The affinity with anthropological work is clearly present in this kind of exhortation.

In any case, the point I want to make is the over-use to which the term 'culture' is subject as well as the emptiness in bland assertions like 'culture is everything, it is everywhere' - why would anyone make this kind of a statement without the necessary research work that ought to accompany this generalization?  And if it takes field work and research to make this generalization then it is the anthropologists that one may want to learn from, or at least acknowldege for the grounds that they uncover in their work.   I still think that the most profound insights into culture and cultures, come from 'anthropological' work.  Another way of saying the same thing: it is the 'lingering' with the particulars, it is those  investments in particular places and peoples that enable a 'coming to terms with'  the network of meanings and values and symbols and religions and ideas and practices that combine to give the concept of culture some referent.  It is to the credit of Wallerstein that he was a student of Africa and African societies - it is from there that he came up with the idea of an appropriate unit of analysis.  There is in short a method of inquiry, a field of investigative work, that is productive of the insights that Wallerstein is able to share with us regarding culture.  Those who praise Wallerstein may also want to respect his attachments to the places from where he cultivated his insights.  Wallerstein was also an admirer of Fanon.  None of these aspects of Wallerstein seem to impress adequately upon his readers.  Perhaps I ought to make stronger statements - many of the most profound insights that scholars obtain, use, and earn academic capital from,  is through their interaction with  the multitudes in peripheral spaces.  (Gunder Frank - he was student of Latin America!  Giovanni Arrighi - he used to teach in Rhodesia before having to leave.  I am not saying that any of these three people that I just mentioned think in terms of academic capital to be made - in fact one of the reasons for their intellectual appeal, to me at least, is the fact that they have other agendas arising out of more solidaristic outlooks, more wisdom arising out of a "field" acquaintance with the explotiation and degradation of Third World spaces for Western civilization to continue its progress). The anthropological venture, the encounter with other peoples, also had transformative effects on these students.  So for instance, when Polanyi speaks of culture, he speaks of the cultural degradation that was imposed on Africans by the civilized West - and he compares this degradation to the degrading experience of the industrial revolution in Britain.  Let us not forget that Wallerstein and Hopkins were students of Karl Polanyi, the cultural anthropologist.  And let us also, while we are still speaking of cultures and civilizations, remember the power in Benjamin's remark - that there is no document of civilization that is not at the same time a document of its barbarism.  The use of napalm bombs in Iraq today, and the endless murder of civilians in Iraq and the Middle East, as well as the looting of the 'cultural treasures' of one of the oldest civilizations in the world, ought to make this reminder unncessary. Ganesh Trichur.