Re: Further thoughts on science as culture ...
by Andre Gunder Frank
08 August 2003 00:06 UTC

gunder frank rises to point of personal privilege

I dont deny existence of culgture, of cousre not, but evidence suggests
that it is not a much causative element of what happens. Structure is
mucg mnore so.
and on sicne/culture see my

SPEAK TRUGHT TO POWER about  NAKED SCIENCE AT
http://rrojasdatabank.info/agfrank/online.html#current
about half way down

agf

On
Thu, 7 Aug 2003, Elson Boles wrote:

> Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 10:51:21 -0400
> From: Elson Boles <boles@svsu.edu>
> To: larondin@yahoo.com
> Cc: wsn@csf.colorado.edu
> Subject: Re: Further thoughts on science as culture ...
>
> Boles: responses embedded
>
> Elson E. Boles
> Assistant Professor
> Sociology
> Saginaw Valley State University
> .
> You may be interested in the following response via my list to your
>"science-as-culture" argument on WSN.
>

>http://www.topica.com/lists/consiliencep/read/message.html?mid=807009021&sort=d&start=219
>

> Now, I'm sure you disagree with this and with my own remarks that were posted
>on the World System Network; still I believe it important to get beyond these
>points of contention and focus on the roots of our positions. And, I truly do
>wish to understand your own position better.
>
> Tell me: if science can't provide "truth", then what can it provide? Can
>science truly provide us with "knowledge" of any sort?
> Boles: Truth, no. Knowledge, of course.
> Also, if it is a just a system of meaning, then doesn't this rule really
>extend then as well to the data we collect in science, the information we
>organize, and even our overall perceptions/ readings/and observations in
>scientific investigations? Isn't this material also and equally shaped/skewed
>by our systems of meaning?
> Boles: "Just" doesn't make sense to me. Meaning-systems are significant for
>the participants. Yes, all the data, etc. is part of, in this case, the
>scientific meaning system.
> You're argument while stripping away at the solidity of "science" seems to be
>crystallizing the notion of "culture."
> Boles: Not stripping away the solidity. Science, by virtue of it's methods,
>is probably the most relatively objective means of obtaining knowledge.  Of
>course, science provides knowledge of a particular kind, e.g. knowledge of
>what is observable/measurable.  It doesn't create ethnic knowledge (e.g.
>language, customs, mores, artistic, or religious knowledge).  But science can
>provide knowledge - the study of - these other meaning systems and their
>methods of knowledge (and of itself, e.g. scientific studies of scientific
>methods).   Universities employ the scientific method to study a variety of
>other meaning systems.
> Isn't culture as intangible as science if not moreso than "science?"
> Boles: I don't see what "tangibility" has to do with it.  From a scientific
>perspective (meaning system), science can be understood as a culture (meaning
>system).  That is, I'm using the scientific method to argue that science is a
>meaning system, and thus the argument is self-referential and, by the same
>methods, it may be said that this finding may not be apparent to people who
>aren't using the scientific meaning system to make sense of and give meaning
> [...]

               ANDRE    GUNDER      FRANK

Senior Fellow                                      Residence
World History Center                    One Longfellow Place
Northeastern University                            Apt. 3411
270 Holmes Hall                         Boston, MA 02114 USA
Boston, MA 02115 USA                    Tel:    617-948 2315
Tel: 617 - 373 4060                     Fax:    617-948 2316
Web-page:csf.colorado.edu/agfrank/     e-mail:franka@fiu.edu
Web-page UPDATES are at   http://rrojasdatabank.info/agfrank