the insularity of Empire's culture
by Threehegemons
29 July 2003 14:16 UTC

This passage, in Henry Kamen's "Empire:  How Spain became a World Power,
1492-1763" jumped out at me in relation to something I posted a couple of days
ago:

"Throughout the Habsburg centuries the existence of Spanish power fascinated
other Europeans...  By contrast, as the master power Spain showed scant
interest in the culture of other peoples, and did not extend to the rest of
Europe the profound interest that it had at least evinced for Italian culture
and technology...  As a class the Spanish elite, nobles and clergy, had little
cultural sophistication... They travelled out of Spain very sledom..  and so
had no perspective with which to make judgements...  Few foreign authors were
translated into Castilian.  Europeans, however, knew Castilian works." (p.
338-9)

Steven Sherman