American sociology and the world
by Threehegemons
26 July 2003 15:38 UTC

<But to make
it one has to literally be stationed in the US, as for
example the great work of Edward Said. >

Said, however, is a professor of literature, not a sociologist.  I was curious
about his impact on American sociology as a result of the inclusion of
'Orientalism' on a list of the twenty-five most influential books in sociology,
and the debate it engendered.  A quick search showed he was virtually never
cited in the major American sociology journals.  None of the prominent
'post-colonials', including those based in the US, are sociologists.
  Although some of the comparative historical people have certainly made a name
for themselves in the field by looking at historical examples that include at
least Europe, I think it's fair to say that it remains the case that American
sociology is largely about the US, written by Americans who read almost
exclusively Americans, despite its persistent pretenses towards universalism.

Steven Sherman