Re: MSNBC News Link: A Very Mixed Marriage
by Alan Spector
14 July 2003 20:39 UTC

What Tim writes is correct about the ideology of some of the apocolyptic
right-wing Christian fundamentalist movements, and about the ideas expressed
by many of the rank and file.

But the leaders of those movements are basically driven by
political-economic motives. In general, where nationalism and religion go
hand in hand, it is the nationalism that is in the driver's seat.  For
example, Pat Robertson's "500 Club" is pushing for U.S. military
intervention in Liberia, primarily to preserve the current
government.....not necessarily the current boss Charles Taylor himself, but
the general political structure. Coincidentally, Robertson is involved in
business enterprises that are extracting precious metals from that country.
Coincidence????? YOU decide......

Seriously, it is very useful when researchers expose those connections. For
example, there was another interesting book written about the Rockefellers,
Christian missionaries and oil in South America.  I'm sure others on this
list can draw out other political-economic interests of particular religious
organizations.

Alan Spector