No revolution will be needed to...
by Barry Brooks
07 July 2003 14:18 UTC

Good engineering uses evolution.  Consider the Japanese car designs that are
improved, not replaced, when better designs are available.  Here's an outline
of goals and policies that I advocate.  We have the components of a successful
economy, as I define it below, already in place.  Small changes can make a big
difference.

In my humble opinion we want our economy to provide sustainability, an
abundance of goods and services, economic security for everyone, and leisure.
These goals are synergistic and are hard to separate or rank.

Various economic arrangements could provide those wants, and the economic
designers, who ever they are, must choose between those alternative
arrangements.  That is the hardest part of the design process.

The easy part is knowing the things that can not work.  To be sustainable an
economy must not need growth in scale, because any rate of growth in scale will
finally make any economy un-sustainable.  All the sustainable alternative
economies will not need to grow in scale.

Also, leisure will require the acceptance of automation into every possible
part of the economy.  Economic arrangements that don't use technology can't
meet the want for leisure. All the alternative economies will use technology,
and they will not need to grow in scale.

Economic security requires some arrangement to provide basic food and shelter
to everyone without qualification.  With a little bad luck anyone can end-up
needing help, and automation will finally cause widespread unemployment. Pure
market capitalism, private charity, and "opportunity" can not provide economic
security.  Some form of transfer payments (welfare or guaranteed income) will
be part of any economic arrangement that provides economic security.  All the
alternative economies will use technology, they will not need to grow in scale,
and they will care for the poor.

Caring for the poor in an economy that values leisure will not focus on making
jobs for them.  Wage dependence leads to the need to make jobs, the need to
compensate for automation, and the need for growth in scale. Unearned income is
basic to capitalism, but it's not democratic capitalism when most people are
dependant on wages.  A guaranteed income could be adjusted to stabilize wages
in an economy that doesn't need its full productive capacity.

The need for growth and waste of our consumer economy will finally make
providing an abundance of goods and services impossible.  When we make jobs and
tolerate waste to be busy, or to avoid the need to provide welfare, we are in
denial about the power of today's automation to replace human labor, and where
we going.  The waste of the consumer economy will not provide abundance,
security, or leisure; not for long.

If it weren't for politics even today's economic arrangements could work, for a
while. We could stimulate demand so effectively that our wants for abundance
and security, at least for workers, could be meet.  That's why our want for
sustainability is important. It's not enough to nurture the market, to end
corruptions, to implement the most advanced policies in pursuit of
unsustainable levels of  hyper-activity.  The short-term fix is not a long-term
fix, but any long-term fix applies now.  For sustainability the long-term fix
is to cut resource consumption, not to increase it.

When we combine the known requirements of our engineered economy we get
something that would seem unworkable without consideration of additional
details.  For example, an economy that doesn't grow requires a stable
population, and an economy that is sustainable avoids waste.  So, if we make
all products long lasting many goods can be provided by inheritance.
Long-lasting houses combined with population stability will provide houses
without much labor, without economic growth,  without excessive resource
consumption, and without a need for large income.   Security, abundance and
leisure are all supported by such arrangements.

Last time I checked no revolution will be needed to institute inheritance, or
family planning, or automation, or even transfer payments.  We already have
those things in our society.  It may take a revolution to get the media to
explain how those existing social features can make the goals of
sustainability, an abundance of goods and services, economic security for
everyone, and leisure a reality.  If  we could agree we could just use the
internet and forget the corporate media.

Barry Brooks