Re: Merging WST and complexity science
by Threehegemons
16 June 2003 14:24 UTC

In a message dated 6/16/2003 12:10:50 AM Eastern Standard Time,
bstremli@binghamton.edu writes:
> The nation-state and the realist paradigm> in international relations were
>far from ideal solutions, but they did go> a long way toward restoring peace
>in Europe after the debacle of the> 30-years War.  However, if the balance of
>power system was generally> beneficial for recognized polities, it was
>disastrous for most> non-European polities, which suddenly became entities >
>without any rights> whatsoever (as far as Europeans were concerned).
Not only that--the creation of these 'entities without any rights'created a
space for European men to perform violence and sexuality that was increasingly
restrained in 'civilized' Europe (thus 'the wild west' was the other half of
puritanical North America).  Certain forms of behavior were increasingly
conceptualized   as irrational, unconscious, primitive, etc and pushed out of
Europe.  Part of the history of the twentieth century is the decline of this
extra space and the return of these forms of behavior to the core.
Metaphors have long migrated both ways across the natural/social
science/humanities divide.  For example, the word 'work' was quite an important
term in understanding political economy before it became a central term in
physics (force times distance).  The concept of historical change originates
among historians of people, migrates to geology, then migrates to biology
(evolution) where it comes back to the social sciences.
I find evolutionary metaphors, used with some care, quite stimulating.  Social
forms propogate (obviously through mechanisms different from sexual
reproduction) and eventually go extinct/mutate into something else.  This is
one way to conceptualize forms like the nation-state, multinational
corporations, the modern institution of marriage, etc.  It is worth noting that
in the history of the evolution of biological life, species have often emerged
from the margins--we are descendants of rat-like creatures who lived around
dinasours, not of the giant creatures themselves (who apparently mutate into
birds).  I tend to believe the present system will be superseded by social
forms at the margins of the system of states and economic actors, rather than
by the mutation of the latter into something 'higher'.  Dinosaurs apparently
went extinct both because they became so pervasive around the world that
diseases spread rapidly, and because of the catastrophic impact of a meteor.
This might also be suggestive of the way the central institutions of the modern
world system eventually collapse--a combination of problems created by their
very pervasiveness, as well as their fragility in the face of catastrophe.
Steven Sherman