Re: Merging WST and complexity science
by Carl Nordlund
13 June 2003 20:11 UTC

Regarding the instrumetalization, measurement and conceptualizations of
such dissipation, ecological economics and its variety of tools could
perhaps be of assistance here? One aspect of such ecological-economic
dissipation is indeed visible - "Bild 1" on this site is taken from a
satellite picture depicting the dissipation of energy from the Korean
peninsula seen from space:

http://www.demesta.com/carl/ekografi/

Energy is, however, imho, quite a difficult marker for economic
activites as there are several types of energy - perhaps Hornborg's
refinement of the exergy concept (usable energy) is more viable here but
I personally think that there are more usable units of analysis, in
particular the analysis of the appropriation and dissipation of
'ecological footprints'.

Other types of conceptualizations can perhaps be done with respect to
other proxy measurements of an ecological, non-monetary kind (such as
Burns, T. Davis, B, Kick,E:s "Position in the world-system and national
emissions of greenhouse gases") but perhaps such studies tend to be a
bit too "piece-meal".

Economic systems are, I argue, not dissipative structures - instead
economic systems are economic systems and should be treated as such;
dissipation is a physical/biological concept! Analogies between physics
and world-system(s) analysis should perhaps better be seen as what they
really are - mere analogies - although there probably are many important
conceptual ideas in the field of physics which successfully can be
transplanted into a world-system context (like what was done in
quantitative economic geography back in the 50-60's but without letting
the Pythagoran All-Things-Are-Numbers-genie out of the bottle!).

Some interesting pieces of writing which I myself have found interesting
here:

Wicken, J.S., "Evolutionary self-organisation and entropic dissipation
in biological and socieconomic systems", 1986

Ayres, R U, "Self-organisation in Biology and economics", 1998

Georgescu-Roegen, N, "The entropy law and the economic process", 1971

And my personal favourite:

Dyke, C., "Cities as dissipative structures", in Weber, Depew, Smith
(eds), "Entropy, Information and Evolution: new perspectives on physical
and biological evolution", 1988

Yours,
Carl
-----