Re: Civilization?
by Romain Kroës
30 May 2003 13:37 UTC

It depends on the language. There is a difference between culture and civilization in English and in French, but not in German. For example, Sigmund Freud's "Unbehagen in der Kultur" was translated in French as "Malaise dans la civilisation" (I do not know the English transaltion).
I think it is a matter of philosophical ... culture.
For German thought, "die Kultur" is a category of same level as "Natur", as a consequence of human autonomy with respect to nature. And Freud, after Kant and Hegel, opposes them to eachother.
French philosphy, that has never reached the depth of the German one, does not consider such an absolute opposition, and for that reason has invented the regrettable "droit naturel" (natural right) which is a nonsense, as the right is a cultural concept, invented by civilization and not promulgated by nature.
English and American thought, dominated by the puritanistic will of God in the daily life, considers that culture is somehow subordinated to nature and not opposed to it. And this is the reason why we have to bear the ideology of "human rignts", in the name of which every thing can be done, including barbaric agressions against civilization, and which denies the rights of many citizens.
Last news: a new translation of Freud into French is titled "malaise dans la culture". IL y a donc un espoir ...
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2003 2:42 PM
Subject: Civilization?

Greetings,
Does anybody know what is the difference between 'Culture' and 'Civilization' within human sciences and social-cultural studies? Secondly, what is the most standard definition(s) of 'Civilization' in contemporary discourses?
Kind Regards
Seyed

Looking for cheaper internet access? Find loads of great offers here!