Re: Modernity & Politics
by Threehegemons
29 May 2003 13:12 UTC

In a message dated 5/29/2003 3:54:52 AM Eastern Standard Time,
kjkhoo@pop.jaring.my writes:
> But this is precisely where > rather than casting modernity as meaning
>autonomy and the non or > pre-modern as stifling it, an investigation into
>notions of autonomy > and of the ascendance and decline of different notions
>as well as > their interaction is, I think, a much more fruitful exercise than
>> casting the attractions of the modern as the 'autonomy' it offers.> > When
>that has been done, it may perhaps be possible to > weigh up which > forms and
>notions of autonomy are 'better' than others.
My original goal was to try to answer Khaldoun's question about the attractions
of modernity, not evaluate modernity.  I think this remains an interesting
question, more interesting than my evaluations.  Right now it seems as if
'modern' is a meaningful description of most people in the world, even if
oversimplified. Plenty of people at the very bottom of the world system seem
highly modern in many ways. They hold beliefs in their autonomy (or 'freedom')
even if frequently violated, they struggle along transnational scales of
cultural and other forms of capital... How did that happen?  Did it happen
entirely because they were 'taught' to do that, or because aspects of the
modern seemed alluring?  I suspect lots of the contestants in that beauty
contest are drawn to it, rather than being pushed (a dichotomy, but a fairly
meaningful one), due to the immense amounts of transnational cultural capital
that seem to adhere to those judged 'beautiful'. This doesn't mean that I think
beauty contests are liberating or good, but that their appeal to contestants
can be explained. I would look to forces like the advertising industry and peer
culture as a lot more potent in this respect than the opinions of modernist
social scientists (and if the modernist social scientists' opinions are
important, how exactly do their values become those of people far away from
centers of academic thought?).
Modern, of course, is an extremely opaque term, one which describes lots of
thing that are often contradictory, some of which I might believe are 'good'
and some 'bad'....  Its vagueness is part of its appeal.  Its part of how we
got here and why it seems so difficult to exit. Recall that Foucault believed
that the Iranian revolution provided a release from modernist discipline (he
died shortly after).  Today, it does not appear that the Iranian engagement
with modernity is by any means over, again, not only because of the pressures
of global power structures, but also the pressures from below, within Iranian
society.
Steven Sherman