Re: Modernity & Politics
by Threehegemons
28 May 2003 15:23 UTC

In a message dated 5/28/2003 9:40:48 AM Eastern Standard Time,
ibnsubhi@yahoo.com writes:
> Thanks to all those who commented.  I tend to agree> most with Khoo.  On the
>one hand, modernity has been> giving too much credit for "liberating"
>individuals> from the collective stronghold of past traditional> societies.
>"Traditional" societies, likewise, have> been overly accused of suffocating
>individual> autonomy.  Part of the problem is the way social> scientists have
>set up these categories: mechanical vs> organic solidarity, gemeinschaft vs
>gesselschaft,> oriental despotism vs occidental decentralization...
Khaldoun--you originally asked why modernity appeals to some 'emergent' sectors
of the world.  I wasn't entirely clear what you meant by this phrase (emergent
sectors) and why you chose your examples--the white working class in the US and
zionist settlers have certainly seen their day 'emerge' and go, and both enjoy
quite low status in the world these days, while 'western feminists' is largely
a race-baiting phantasm--see especially Dirlik's critique of the way
postcolonials have used this notion.  But putting that aside, if the question
is what appeal modernity has, a lecture from Foucault about how its all
disciplinary anyway isn't really apropo.  The 'attraction' of modernity is
certainly not the black box camera in the school bus.
Modernity holds a lot of appeal for a lot of people--not only people who want a
new t-shirt or a car, but also people who want liberal divorce laws, modern
medicine, the ability to sleep with who they want, the bright lights of the big
cities...  Yes, the promise of modernity often turns out to be a
fraud--inaccessible to some, not what it seems to others.  Yes, as well that
'traditional' cultures aren't uniformally stifling (although many are, in many
ways).  Yes as well some people are pushed into modern life because they're
kicked off their land, not because they want to enter it.  But if you want to
develop an account of the spread of modern ideals that moves beyond colonial
elites and western settlers, you'll have to take seriously some of the
experienced drawbacks of people living in 'traditional' contexts and some of
the experienced promises of modernity (and keep in mind that the romantization
as well as denigration of 'pre-modern' life is a vital tradition of
modernity/post-modernity).   There's plenty of evidence that even in colonial
contexts, people often sought out modern institutions that they thought could
be turned to their benefit (see Ortner's critique of Spivak).
As for race--not mentioned at all in your original post--at least in the
contemporary United States there are some ironic twists to this.  The 'white'
subaltern culture of country music and Christian fundamentalism is quite
'local' and nostalgic for the pre-modern compared to the 'black' culture of
hip-hop, which provides a soundtrack to much of the transnational consuming
class.  100 years ago, both white workers and zionists sought (successfully) to
latch themselves onto the white race/the west because these were the most
powerful groups in the world system.  I'm not sure what the connection is to
modernity is there.
Steven Sherman