Re: could anybody assist me in relation to ....?
by Threehegemons
23 May 2003 16:02 UTC

In a message dated 5/22/2003 6:44:18 AM Eastern Standard Time,
seyedjavad@hotmail.com writes:
Interesting questions

> what are the key points in relation to the so-called 'westerness of
>sociological tradition'?

Sociology was largely produced in the context of industrializing Germany and
France.  It was presumed that the features of these polities represented
general tendencies of 'modern' society.  It was often theorized that something
unique about the Western experience led to their 'development'.  My
understanding is that the charge of Eurocentricism usually involves a critique
of the idea that experiences of these countries represent universal
tendencies--so all sorts of terms, including class, capitalism, etc can be
regarded as Eurocentric categories.  Furthermore, the interrelationship between
these states and other parts of the world were usually considered exterior to
the project of sociology.

And what are the major currents of 'anti-eurocentric' critiques?

Identifying 'modern' culture as historically, geographically specific, rather
than a universal tendency.  Identifying the way modern society, including the
social sciences, was constituted through a relationship with many non-European
actors.  Considering the relevance of non-western categories to explain
society.  Opening up the possibility for other historical narratives besides
the expansion of capitalism.

 Last but not least I wish to know who are the major contributors among
postmodernists, world-system theorists and multi-culturalists (names,
> major works, articles etc.)?

Postmodernists--Jaques Derrida, Lyotard, Baudrillard, Jameson (critique)

World Systems--Immanuel Wallerstein, Giovanni Arrighi, Samir Amin, Andre Gunder
Frank, Christopher Chase Dunn.

Multi-Culturalists--Gloria Anzaldua, Bell Hooks, Cornel West, Judith Butler

Steven Sherman