Re: Bolivia for example
by Threehegemons
27 May 2003 12:51 UTC

In a message dated 5/27/2003 4:17:24 AM Eastern Standard Time,
gktbg1@tiscali.de writes:

> (a) definition of "people" (as called for in Wagar's recent article) - in
> the article on Bolivia, the "people" or "popular forces" that are mentioned
> are (1) organized, (2) unorganized. The organized popular forces comprise
> "the peasant movements, the coca producers, the trade unions (syndicats),
> the Coordination of Water, the NGOs, etc., who usually act together"
> (Footnote 2, my translation). The unorganized popular forces that are
> mentioned are "the crowd" (la foule) spontaneously forming on February 13.

Actually, I suspect the 'unorganized' forces were quite organized--just not
into formal organizations.  'crowds' tend to be the product of networks, and
not spontaneous revolts.

> (b) weakness of the social movements - author Chavez blames the lack of
> success of the popular forces on 13 February 2003 on various weaknesses of
> the Bolivian social movements, including, that they "have not, for the time
> being, succeeded in articulating an alternative economic
> model or action"
> (my transl.)

Should an uprising be considered a 'failure' if it doesn't topple a government?
 Is it possible (or a good idea) to articulate an 'alternative economic model'
for a single country?

Steven Sherman