Re: Akhenaten == Moses Revisited
by Jay Fenello
16 May 2003 07:18 UTC

At 4/30/2003  11:51 AM, Ken Freed wrote:
Interesting narrative. But what about the slavery of the Hebrews? And what about the "ten plagues" ending with the overnight death of the the Egyptian first born, in legend the basis for the holiday Passover, which marks their escape from slavery into freedom. Does your writer below give credence to this story, which resides at the core of the Jewish religion?

Hi Ken,

I've been chewing on how best to broach
this subject, then last night I saw the
PBS special on the Kingdom of David:
http://www.pbs.org/previews/Kingdon_David/

Turns out, everything that we know today
of the Old Testament is a result of the
scribes who survived the fall of Judah
to King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon.

In other words, the Old Testament was
compiled in 586 BC!  Around 700 years
after Moses lived, and even more for
Abraham!!!

That's why the records from Egypt don't
match the Bible, because the further back
you go, the more the stories are depending
on the oral tradition.  (The entire book of
Deuteronomy is now thought to be a forgery
by the scribes.)

Again, according to the documentary, the
Jewish tradition didn't really become a
focused, monotheist religion until several
hundred years later, upon their return to
Judah, and only after Ezra was dispatched
from Babylon to support the religious
tradition.

So, the scribes and the Babylonian Kingdom
were responsible for establishing a Jewish
tradition in the holy land.  Just like the
early Christian Church was formed with
support from Church leaders and Roman
Emperor Constantine.

Why is any of this important?

Because these religious memes still infect
a majority of the people on this planet,
and is creating the reality we are currently
experiencing.  Zionism, for example, is a
driving force in the world today, as it
was during World War II.

My questions about Akhenaten and Moses are
attempts to understand how early Kingdoms
evolved into our modern system.

To answer your question, I don't know about
the miraculous events described in the Bible.
I tend to believe they are spin designed to
instill certain beliefs into the masses.

Comments welcome ...

Jay.

Thanks
-- ken

Recently I watched the classic movie
"The Ten Commandments," and I couldn't
help but think about a topic that had
been discussed previously on these
lists.

The question of the Egyptian Pharaoh
Akhenaten's relationship to Moses, and
their common belief in a single god.

Here's another look:

http://www.greatdreams.com/moses.htm

Joseph went to Egypt not in the early 18th Century BC but in the early 15th Century BC. There he was appointed Chief MInister to Tuthmosis IV <snip>

+++

Jay Fenello, Internet Services
http://www.Fenello.com ... 678-585-9765
http://www.YourWebPartner.com ... Web Partnering