Dreams and Hopes
by wwagar
12 May 2003 20:12 UTC

        If Steven Sherman will read my previous post again, I think he
will see that I do not advocate waiting around for the demise of the
modern world-system.  I say at the end of that post that the process of
making a new world must begin with the formation of a consensus among
progressive individuals and groups, a consensus that does not yet exist,
on where humanity should be headed and how best to get there.  The Left
networks that he cites in his post are exactly the kind of thing I had in
mind, although of course there are others.  Change begins with preparing
for change and discussing change and making change happen whenever
possible and trying to build consensus about the direction of future
change.  No one should be loitering on the way to the people's century.
At the same time, I know of no credible analysis of the modern world
"order," from world-system scholars or any others, that would encourage
hope for imminent transformation.  The obstacles are immense and no one
can say just how "late" late capitalism really is.

        Meanwhile, I have no problem with Steven's moderation of this
network and with his decision to transfer posts on the genetic superiority
issue elsewhere.  That's exactly the kind of difficult judgment call that
we should expect moderators to make, especially when tempers flare.

        Warren

On Sun, 11 May 2003 Threehegemons@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 5/11/2003 5:48:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>prugovecki@laguna.com.mx writes:

> Perhaps one day the people who have founded these websites
> will start
> actively interacting and cooperating.

The world social forum, as well as various far left spinoffs (see for example
http://www.nadir.org/nadir/initiativ/agp/space/hubesf.htm), would seem to
epitomize much of the behavior that both Eduard Prugovecki and Warren Wagar
relegate to the land of dreams and hopes.  The left has constructed quite a
dense communications structure on the web, putting aside the email lists many
of us are on that are probably the main way many local activists communicate
with each other at this point.  this is a global process--check out the list of
chapters at indymedia.org.  I suppose it is a lot messier than many
utopographers might hope for, but if one is actively concerned about changing
the world, they are what we have.  As Fidel Castro once commented, "it is not
for revolutionaries to sit in the doorways of their houses waiting for the
corpse of imperialism to pass by. The role of Job doesn't suit a revolutionary.
"

Steven Sherman