Re: Schumpeter and the Capitalist Process.
by kenneth couesbouc

 Ganesh,
       Schumpeter considers business cycles to be
historic individuals. Can one then suppose that the
Kondratieff cycle is due to the use of fossil
fuels(1887-1943 for coal and 1944-2000 for crude oil);
the Kuznets cycle to construction, naturally; the
Juglar cycle to machines and the Kitchin cycle
to...what? And, if production determins development,
why does it speed up and slow down at regular
intervals? Why did the dotcom development suddenly
fail in 2000? Why didn't all that 3rd generation stuff
keep development going? Whereas the curve was right on
cue. So how can this predictability of historic
individuals be explained?
 Writing about Hegel in a letter to Engels, Marx said
he had climbed on the shoulders of a giant and stood
him on his head. Or words to that effect. (I seem to
remember reading this in the introduction to the
Penguin edition of Capital, vol.2) Dare we do this to
Schumpeter??
      Regards, Kenneth

Kenneth: