Re: Transformation from War to Peace
by Trichur Ganesh

Shifting the direction of civilization?  The first and foremost prerequisite I
argue is global demilitarization.  The foundations of capitalist civilization
are
based on militarism and war, as well as the divestment of the means of violence
from civilians by the state(s), the US being the exception. (Cf. Tilly 1991).

Shift the direction of civilization?  The second and perhaps more fundamental
prerequisite is to stop thinking in terms of the individual and the I that has
come to define the Western sense of self.  The puerile narcissism of
individualities, this mania for acquisitiveness, this plundering of nature and
of
civilizations of the South, and this apathy and ignorance of the 'larger
landscapes of hopelessness and despair' (Sassen), it is this that needs to
shift.

Shift the direction of civilization?  You are right about the pointer to Native
American Indians - they knew how to relate with nature, how to learn from it,
how
to be with it instead of systematically devouring and destroying it.  So yes, a
lot to learn from them as well as from other peoples from the South.  Will that
happen?   Give up the automobile?  Give up the refrigerator and the television?
Give up the warmth of the house?  For what?  For whom?  Why?  Having only one
life, the economists teach us to maximize, maximize, maximize, it is the law of
life!  Get what you can while there is still time, for the barbarians are here,
there, and everywhere.

Shift the grounds of civilization?  I wish you could.  I am, in my more
pessimistic moments, inclined to affirm the Marx who read Goethe - 'all that
exists deserves to perish'.  From creative destruction the world is made;
perhaps
at the very limit, the moment when absolute annihilation of all life become more
than merely certain, perhaps at that moment we can think again of creating new
grounds for a  tragicomedy.  Perhaps by then we will all have become
Shakespearians and say collectively 'O how my achievements constantly mock me!'.
But not until then....

For the world is not short of thinkers and seers and prophets.  What it has
always
been short of is thinkers and seers and visionaries in power.  The West in
particular has only one way of expressing itself -reason and violence, 'reason
riding piggy back on capital' (Chatterji) and drowning in its murderous trail
all
those myriad forms of life that do not have the capacity to murder.  Ganesh
Trichur.