[Fwd: After the fall]
by Trichur Ganesh

--- Begin Message ---
 Hussein has fallen. This historic moment is marked in www.openDemocracy.net
with a panorama of articles and discussion - its impact on the Middle East, the
post-war transition, the Kurdish dimension, the displaced thousands, and the
question of an American apology.

Plus, Ariel Dorfman's poetic meditation on language and power, a moving memoir
of Baghdad from Raeid Jewad, and a high-powered roundtable on corporations.

Celebration, apology, danger

ATONEMENT
An apology for America's past role in Iraq would match its overthrow of a
merciless dictatorship, say DAVID HAYES AND CASPAR HENDERSON
http://www.opendemocracy.net/debates/article-2-95-1140.jsp

LIFE, AFTER SADDAM
He's gone, but will Iraq be free? RAEID JEWAD is exiled from his country, but
not from hope.
http://www.opendemocracy.net/debates/article-2-95-1147.jsp

AMERICAN OCCUPATIONAL HAZARDS
The UN and Nato should share responsibility for post-war transition in Iraq,
argues KARIN VON HIPPEL
http://www.opendemocracy.net/debates/article-2-95-1145.jsp

AFTERMATH; AFGHAN LESSONS IRAQI FUTURES
Does the corrosive violence in Afghanistan seventeen months  after 'regime
change' there represent a glimpse into Iraq's future? PAUL ROGERS maps the
Baghdad endgame.

Ricochets of war

SAAD EDDIN IBRAHIM: PRISONER OF CIRCUMSTANCE
The imprisonment and release of an Egyptian human rights champion is a murky
story of distorted politics, writes DANIEL SWIFT
http://www.opendemocracy.net/debates/article-2-95-1146.jsp

INTERNALLY DISPLACED PERSONS IN IRAQ
After war, many thousands of Iraqis are on the road, homeless and desperate.
ARTHUR HELTON AND GIL LOESCHER examine UN and NGO dissension.
http://www.opendemocracy.net/themes/article-2-1144.jsp
IN DEFENCE OF BRITISH PATRIOTISM
In war and peace, Britain is our land. We should be proud of its history and
those who defend it, says DOUGLAS MURRAY
http://www.opendemocracy.net/debates/article-2-33-1139.jsp

CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS TALKS TO CAPTAIN JOHN WHYTE
The renaming of Baghdad's main airport by its US occupier inspires ARIEL
DORFMAN to an act of poetic retrieval
http://www.opendemocracy.net/debates/article-2-95-1148.jsp

NO PLACE FOR JIHAD IN KURDISTAN
Is history on the Kurds' side at last? If so, they need to keep domestic and
invading Islamic fundamentalists at bay, says AYUB NURI.
http://www.opendemocracy.net/debates/article-2-95-1130.jsp

ANOTHER CASUALTY OF WAR: CONTROL OVER WMD
MICHAEL REBEHN looks at the fissures and failures of arms proliferation and
verification.
http://www.opendemocracy.net/debates/article-9-86-1128.jsp
Beyond Protest: Flags, Poetry and Stone
Meditations on the art of protest from SARAH LINDON, PATRICK WRIGHT and REVA
RASMUSSEN
http://www.opendemocracy.net/debates/issue-2-33.jsp
Features
STYLE AND FASHION: FROM THE WEST INDIAN FRINGE
Sheffield - the British city of steel, looks and smiles, women of roses, and
memories of childhood in a hairdressing salon. ALIX JAMES looks back in love.
http://www.opendemocracy.net/debates/article-1-78-1134.jsp

MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE? CORPORATIONS ROUNDTABLE
They inhabit our imaginations, but do they dominate our lives? TOM BURKE,
MALINI MEHRA, MARTIN WOLF, and SOPHIA TICKELL debate the power and future of
corporations.
http://www.opendemocracy.net/debates/article-7-29-1142.jsp

Regular Columns

O EUROPE, HUNGARY IS COMING
From the vast Hungarian plain, PAUL HILDER maps the vista of Europe in a rich
panorama.
http://www.opendemocracy.net/themes/article-3-1150.jsp

BEFORE THE FALL
As Baghdad collapses, three strangers present themselves in Kurdistan as Iraq's
future. WENDELL STEAVENSON has a premonition of a new, odd, Iraqi politics.
http://www.opendemocracy.net/themes/article-2-1136.jsp

GLOBOLOG - A NEW, NEW WORLD ORDER?
It is springtime in Washington and Baghdad. CASPAR HENDERSON talks 'progressive
globalisation' at the IMF-World Bank conference, and suggests a creative
solution to the tasks of post-war reconstruction in Iraq.
http://www.opendemocracy.net/themes/article-6-1149.jsp
openDemocracy is independent - we need your support to keep it that way.

SEND A CHEQUE for EUR40, $40 or £25 (or whatever you can afford) to:
openDemocracy 23-25 Great Sutton Street, 2nd floor, London EC1V 0DN, United
Kingdom

OR PAY ONLINE: http://www.openDemocracy.net/SUPPORT.html

OR CALL +44 (0) 207 608 2000.